3.17.2013

Spinach-Kale Eggs

Growing up, I was VERY picky about my food. Today, I'm only very picky. See the difference?

:)

I was weird about texture, color, size, the list goes on. My parents LOVE to bring up the "carrot story" whenever they can. Especially since my Mom and I both witnessed my five year old daughter trying to sneak food she didn't want to eat into the garbage. Kids are revenge, I swear. Call it karma or whatever you like; I call it revenge. THANKFULLY out of four kidlets, only ONE of them is like me (in EVERY aspect) when it comes to food. My goal in life (right now) is to get her eating more balanced than I ever did BEFORE she gets to college. (College would have been my first salad. EVER. I was a meat and potato kind of girl. And croutons. I LOVED croutons.)

Thankfully, also, I've grown and thanks to my wonderful husband, so have my taste buds. 

As a child, however, the very idea of (or sight of) green eggs would make my stomach churn and prepare to rebel. Not that I didn't enjoy Green Eggs and Ham, I did. In fact, I had a few copies because one of my uncle's dogs ate my very first copy. But the very THOUGHT of eating something green, other than a granny smith apple, just did NOT sit well with me. 

Today, I can say, matter-of-factly no less, that green eggs are SO good. Not only do they TASTE delicious, are SUPER easy to make, but my "particular eater" finished hers FIRST and encouraged her sisters to do the same! I call that a WIN

And have I mentioned the bacon? I think bacon makes EVERYTHING taste better. 

Spinach-Kale Eggs
(First made 27 Jan 13)

As much spinach as you like
As much kale as you like
As many eggs as you'd like

(SO easy, right?)


Your fat. No YOU aren't fat. YOUR fat. Pick your fat. I used BACON fat. You can use coconut oil, ghee, etc. (I have NOT had luck using ghee, but I'm CONVINCED I'm doing something wrong.) Maybe I should have said, pick your fat. Or choose your fat. Sorry.

Put your greens into your blender.


I add a handful (minimum) of spinach and then the kale on top.
Add your eggs.



Give it a whirl or blend or puree; whichever setting you like. You MAY have to shake your blender to get the greens and blender blades to meet. At least I have problems almost every.single.time.




Heat your fat on a skillet. 


Mmmm bacon bacon bacon fat.
Pour in your green eggs.



Salt and Pepper your eggs! I noticed after a few attempts without, that cooking with bacon fat and seasoning the eggs with salt and pepper improve the overall taste of the eggs. If you LIKE the taste of spinach and kale, ignore this step.


This is 10 eggs total, so LOTS of pepper.
When I FIRST made this recipe, I'd add a little water to my blender, add the spinach and kale, blend and THEN add the eggs. Either way, it takes about the same amount of cooking time.

At first, it seems like it is taking FOREVER for the eggs to cook. (The first time I thought it was because I'd added water.) But then, you'll notice, small patches where the eggs begin to firm up.


And eventually, more and more patches start to show as you use a spoon to stir around your eggs and you even get to see the bottom of you SKILLET again!






Until..



...you have BEAUTIFUL and DELICIOUS Spinach-Kale Eggs!





Yum!

I love that this recipe is SO versatile. In fact, I didn't add spinach until LONG after my tenth time making these with just kale. I really don't know WHY I hadn't thought of adding the spinach sooner. I can't get ENOUGH of these eggs!

You can also cook up some bacon on your skillet, use the fat to make the eggs and have a side of bacon. 







 You could chop up the bacon, cook it on the skillet, then pour your green eggs over and cook them so you have bacon IN your eggs. 



You can heat up sausage and  and use that fat to cook your eggs and have sausage on the side. Or keep break up the sausage and cook it with your eggs. (Which I had this afternoon for lunch and it was DELICIOUS! So much so, I forgot to take a photo.)

The list of possibilities goes on and on and ON! Throw them with a side of bacon breakfast meatballs.
My meatballs went a LITTLE long in the oven.

Looks a little better, right?

Or add salsa to the top of your eggs!!! I added salsa to the top of my sausage in my Spinach-Kale Eggs this afternoon. And it only took me this long to try it that way because I just hadn't made or picked up any salsa. Of course I SCARFED down instead of photographing.

Oh well, just means I have to make it again! Awwwwh Schucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment